Maryland Offsetting Pennsylvania

by Mike on January 13, 2006

in Politics

The latest Rasmussen poll shows Lt. Gov Mike Steele leading both potential challengers in his race for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by the retiring Senator Sarbanes. This is good news because a Republican pickup in Maryland would offset a loss in Pennsylvania. (That race will tighten as Bob Casey open his mouth). A

This is a Reader’s Digest verison of my current 2006 Senate predicitons:

Republican Gains: Minnesota, Maryland, Rhode Island, New Jersey
Democrat Gains: Pennsylvania, Missouri

Official Gain of +1 for the GOP

Noonan January 15, 2006 at 1:34 pm

hey Mike, interesting theory on the +1 for GOP. I think much of the GOP progress in MD has been due to dissent from Mfume, who may be the controlling x-factor in that race. I wouldn’t rule Talent out yet, Santorum’s definitely toast, and NJ seems like a long shot.

My prediction:
GOP gains MD & MN
Dems gain PA & RI, with a shot at MO

Dems gain 1 seat net

Noonan January 15, 2006 at 1:56 pm

One other x-factor, is GOP has a longshot at CT, believe it or not. The liberal vote may be split b/t Lieberman & CT former Sen & current Gov who is upset with Lieberman’s pro-Iraq stance.

The liberal vote is split, but why is there no GOP candidate? The conservative vote is going to the Dem there, who is being challenged on the left only.

Any thoughts on this seat?

Sal January 15, 2006 at 10:21 pm

Any relation to Peggy?

Sal January 17, 2006 at 3:21 pm

I disagree with your RI assessment, Noonan. I think Steve Laffey will win the primary and general.

noonan January 18, 2006 at 12:23 pm

I hope you’re right, Sal

Mike January 20, 2006 at 11:41 am

The possibility of the largely unknown candidate or the widely acknowledged jackass running in the Dem primary takes the seat, though technically a Democrat gain would be classified as a Democrat hold here on the Axis of Right as the current occupant of the seat does not deserve to be called a Republican.

I think Laffey will win the seat. He is popular in the “swing cities” of Cranston and Warwick.