John Batchelor Leaving WABC

by Mike on September 1, 2006

in Anything Else,Culture,Politics

Tonight (Friday) will be the final installment of the John Batchelor Show on WABC. Batchelor hosts one of the most informative programs in media. He began his show on September 12, 2001 and was supposed to remain on the air until Osama Bin Laden was captured or killed. Although he covered a wide range of topics, his Middle East coverage was particularly noteworthy. He was one of the first media personalities to pinpoint the fact that Iran was a threat to global security, often probing with precision into the details of Iranian culture and politics through his extensive network of sources on the ground.

WABC should not have let him get away. However, I’m confident his show will pop up somewhere soon.

William Ashlock December 8, 2006 at 12:47 pm

Since John Batchelor left the air waves I feel totally out good information about what is going on in the Mid-east. I listened to him every night from Boston.

Bill Ashlock

Leo Wagner November 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm

John is the only reason I bought Wi-F- radio. We only get crap out here in the wilds of West Texas and he was a great comfort and extremely informative.

W. Smalley November 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

One of the best news shows……ever! I listened on WJR ’til his show left there. Occaisionally, could pull in WABC. They replaced with Savage who is as big a self promoter as Dave R………… Maybe we need more challenging shows like The Voice, America’s Got ……………Or, audios of America’s funniest……………, Or, how about replays of Obama speeches?

Rita Silver November 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

The best program on radio, ever. Does this news tell more about the avg. American radio listener. I think my suspicions are confirmed

carole December 1, 2012 at 12:03 pm

This leaves a huge void in important, unique, & necessary programming! I hope John Batchelor will return to the NYC airwaves on a widely-heard station very soon!

Mary December 4, 2012 at 8:58 pm

HOW CAN A RADIO STATION THINK THAT THEY CAN REPLACE JOHN BATCHELOR WITH A NUT LIKE SAVAGE????? SHAME ON WABC11111

carole December 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm

@carole

replying to my own initial comment:

John B. is still on WABC after Michael Savage, but only for 2 hrs. Doesn’t sound as if he’s leaving, thank G-d! Some Batchelor programming is infinitely better than none! I hope he will remain on WABC. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. Thanks.

Dick Tietgens January 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm

This decision, if it occurs, is crazy.! ! I look forward to the show every night. Many of the subjects and guests are not heard anywhere else on the radio. As a result of the shows, I have purchased books by the guest authors on subjects that interest me. I only wish all the shows were 3 hours. I especially liked the 6-9pm West Coast time frame. Suggestion (Demand!!!). Get rid of Michael Savage and keep John Batchelor.