Atia or Servilia?

by Mike on February 8, 2007

in Pop Culture

One of the most interesting plots in HBO’s Rome is the ongoing feud between Atia of the Julii and Servilia of the Junii. This catfight is so intriguing that it has spurned a website asking fans to take sides. Although it was really difficult to root for her last week, I’m on Team Atia. How about you?

Ryan February 9, 2007 at 8:16 pm

Based upon last season (I haven’t indulged in Season 2 yet) I would have to say that Team Atia is the one to bet on. Servilia is angry, ruthless and patient, but her offspring and followers suffer from tunnel vision. They don’t have to figure out how to survive in the tough times, they just get lucky here and there. Atia’s team uses their wits and skills to maneuver, not just plod, through life’s difficulties. Atia’s team has a better chance of survival in the long-term. Plus, who can bet against ANY team Octavian is on!

Mike February 9, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Especially when the result is a forgone conclusion. Octavian for the win!

snarky February 23, 2007 at 11:24 am

I’m definitely on Team Atia, but that might be unfair given that she is painted as a more three-dimensional character than Servilia. Atia actually seems to love her family, whereas Servilia tends to use her son to accomplish her own ends. And besides all that, Atia’s hotter. :-)

Revenga March 6, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Team Atia, 100% !!

I love the character, and Polly Walker portrays her beautifully. I haven’t seen any season 2 yet (the darn BBC still aren’t showing it) but i’m uncertain as to whether she will be on the winning side. We all know the eventual outcome … but who will Atia side with?

Shanshee March 13, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I am sooo on Atia’s side because I have to do a project on her and from my reserch she is was more interesting and self confident! Where as Servilia just like… killed herself! I’m 100% on Atia’s side!!!!!

Anonymous April 5, 2007 at 9:45 am

Finally I saw Season Two and can firmly put myself in Team Atia’s corner. Servilia had her issues, had revenge plenty of times, tried to poison her, cursed Atia repeatedly, and to paraphrase Mark Antony, “now that’s a hell of an exit.” But, she lost for fundamental reasons– she let her principles maneuver her into an inescapable corner, something Atia never did. Being more flexible, Atia remained on top.

However, if there’s anyone in the ancient world to give Atia a run, it has to be Livia. Livia will outlive MANY people, including her husband, will be Augustus’ right hand and yield real political power, will arrange marriages that will result in four subsequent emperors (Tiberius, Gaius, Claudius and through her influence, Nero), etc.

Mike April 5, 2007 at 12:25 pm

But not on HBO so Livia is a moot point.

Abbie Jean September 14, 2007 at 2:00 pm

I’ve been on Atia’s side since day one. She’s cruel, and if I ever met a real woman like her, I would naturally want her dead. But as a character, she’s too damn entertaining…and I can not forsake her. Even knowing the historical out come and knowing that Atia is a highly fictionalized character I can’t help but side with her. And I even found myself hoping, toward the end of the series, that the show’s writers would somehow allow Atia to be with her favorite lover (Antony) So while I’m infactuated with Atia, I’m afraid Servilia’s the true winner. (after all her curse on Atia becomes all too real in the last episodes) Lets remember that scuicide was an honorable death to the Romans- and that by displaying herself, filthy and tattered on Atia’s doorstep, Servilia was humiluating Atia and her family- not herself…
But none of this matters. Atia of the Julii was dead in 43bc (before the battle of phillipi) and Servilia lived a long life (longer than many of the other main characters) and eventually died of natural causes. So, by all accounts, Servilia triumphed. (however historians agree that there is no evidence to suggest Atia and Servilia’s rivlary)
I must agree with another fan’s previous comment; Atia is WAY hotter….