Harry Potter Theme Park in the Works

by Mike on May 31, 2007

in Anything Else,Pop Culture

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Universal Studios in Orlando is planning to open a 20-acre Harry Potter Theme Park. Don’t worry about it being tacky though. J.K. Rowling herself is overseeing details to ensure that the park actually resembles the wizarding world in which Harry lives.

This actually sounds fun. People familiar with the Potter series know that the wizarding world includes many attractions familiar to us muggles. They have their own villain, He Who Must Not Be Named, not to be confused with his female counterpart who is running for President. There are also shops, coffee houses, bars, music and more. I wonder if their going to spike the butterbeer?

JUNE 19 UPDATE:  More info here.

Ryan May 31, 2007 at 3:02 pm

I’ve always had the feeling that butterbeer already had alcohol content. I figured that British culture can take a little alcohol in their diet. But I’d like to see how this whole theme park turns out. I’m sure the kids’ll love it but will it be adult-fan friendly? Hope so.

Chris May 31, 2007 at 4:46 pm

The new Harry Potter area is actually going to be the “7th Island” at Islands of Adeventure (coming up on its 10th anniversary). I do think that Universal will do a good job with the theming, as they have a pretty good record for that in both parks (examples: The grittiness and grafitti of pre-Giuliani NYC in Kongfrontation, the ‘feel’ of a shore/seaside town in Jaws and the Jurassic Park land at IoA). Even though, I have mixed feelings…they will fortunately be saving Mythos and The Lost Continent, but unfortuately, they will be re-theming one of the best themed non-Disney rides, Dueling Dragons , and most likely its equally best themed queue .

It will be interesting to see how the Harry Potter Island transpires and spiked butterbeer is definitely a plus. I don’t know if it can top “Drinking Around the World” at Epcot’s World Showcase, but I think it could be a fun alternative.

Jorden M. June 8, 2007 at 9:28 am

Jorden M. June 8, 2007 at 9:31 am

this is going to be so so cool. I’m going to be there when it opens. I can’t wait to go on rides and go in the dark forest. I want to shop for sweats in hogsmeade. I would like to drink some butter beer. I would also like to play quiditch. I would like to go inside the womping willow and do some potions with the mean teacher snape. I want to see dobey and eat some wonderful food in the great hall.I want to go in the common room an d watch the twiwizard tournament and do some spells. Theres lots more like goin through hogsmeade in a tunnel, I can’t name all of them. Good bye . I wish you goodluck.

Kelly June 11, 2007 at 5:04 pm

You say you want butterbeer…but it’s really pretty gross… A local coffee house made some for the release of the 6th book in my hometown, and it was disgusting. Maybe it was just the recipe that they used, but I’m thinking it wasn’t, and it’s just gross…
But on another note, a Harry Potter theme park is definitely a very good idea; There’s just so much you could do with it, and it would definitely do well.

Fred and George (no lie) June 18, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Ohmygod

Fred and George (no lie) June 18, 2007 at 2:25 pm

Oops. I meant, OHMYGOD THIS IS GONNA BE SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeker 4 Ravnclaw (aka Cora) June 19, 2007 at 6:03 pm

omg
im gunna b the first one in line when it opens!!!
the only thing that gets me is how are they going to incorperate rides?

Cora June 19, 2007 at 6:05 pm

someone please tell me

cora June 19, 2007 at 6:05 pm

about the rides that is

cora June 19, 2007 at 6:08 pm

i mave my own butterbeer and put lotz of vodka in it
great night.loads of fun drunkiness
word of advice!!!!
DONT DRINK THE “BUTTERBEER” FROM BORDERS BOOKSTORE THE NIGHT OF THE OPEANING BOOKS IT IS DISGUSTING!!!!!

ccman July 9, 2007 at 11:00 pm

i believe dueling dragons will become either the same. just using harry potter dragons (hungarian horntail ect.) or a quidditch ride. although that might be what the flying unicorn is gunna be. i heard one of the new rides was supposedly like the spiderman ride in the park. except it will be the flying car.