Sweetheart Deals are the Way to Go

by Ryan on December 22, 2009

in Health Care,Politics

File this one under “duh!”

In one of the biggest non-shocks of 2009, more Senators are looking for their own sweetheart deals in the Health Care Bill monstrosity after Ben Nelson’s Nebraska payoff last Saturday.  In fact, if I were a Senator from any state other than Nebraska, Vermont, or Louisiana I would immediately demand a personalized sweetheart deal or shout “no dice!” on voting for health care reform!   How could any Democrat go back to their constituents with a clear conscience and tell them he or she voted for this Health Care Bill without milking the tax-payers for a sweetheart deal specific to their state?  How could they?  Please tell me.  Why half-ass it this time, right?  The cat’s out of the bag on this one:  hope and change all the way to the bank!

Ron Russell December 22, 2009 at 8:37 pm

They all have their greedy hands out now waiting for tax-payer money—what a corrupt bunch we have at the capital.

Sal December 22, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I wonder what our friend Dee would have to say about this one… :) I bet she’d defend Nelson’s action as “principled.”

Dee December 23, 2009 at 8:53 am

re:…”I wonder what our friend Dee would have to say about this one… I bet she’d defend Nelson’s action as “principled.”
Wow, the consistency you guys exhibit is amazing! You’d lose that bet. “Dee” thinks the process of elected officials in Washington lining up to feed at the public trough is an embarrassment. However, taxpayer dollars in exchange for a vote?…it’s as old as the crucifixion. Are you just hearing about this? Welcome to Washington! Sal appears to be the only woman on this planet to whom this is either new or a surprise, she really needs to get out more often. Dee

Mike December 23, 2009 at 10:38 am

@Sal

Ha! I thought she was going to demand to know the name of the bank Ryan referred to. I guess we’ll have to settle for her missing Ryan’s obvious sarcasm.

Sal December 23, 2009 at 12:51 pm

@Dee,

It’s not a shock or a surprise. But I thought Obama was supposed to change all that. No more backroom deals. No more business as usual in Washington. The sea levels were going to recede and peace was going to decend on our planet. Washington needs to change, and this culture of graft and corruption needs to end. Both parties play this game, but it needs to be pointed out WHENEVER it happens by whatever party. Frankly, the only way I see it ending is with term limits or a President with enough balls to veto any legislation that has this type of graft. McCain would have actually done that, I think. That is one area where he has been consistent on and forceful on his entire career.

By the way Dee, I am not a woman. “Sal” is a nickname based on my last name.

Dee December 24, 2009 at 10:44 am

Sorry about the gender mistake…oddly enough, “Dee” is actually an acronym and I am not a woman either. (…not that there’s anything wrong…). Pennsylvania Avenue is littered with intentions and promises that in the cold light of day…seem to evaporate. Once you arrive in Washington, the pressure is on to deliver…period! This applies to Presidents and legislators. There are many good theories on how to eliminate the problem, but in the end I have always been convinced that the only answer is voters stop voting for these guys. One person gets bounced out of office for pork, the rest will lurch in that direction. Self preservation is a politicians primary and best honed instinct. Dee