Obama’s Budget Response Closes Eyes, Turns Stomachs

by Ryan on April 14, 2011

in Economy,Election 2012,Politics,Stupid government

As I was preparing to show my students a quick video clip yesterday, President Obama was just beginning his anticipated budget speech.  So, we watched it for a while before moving on.  At first this was the 16-year-olds’ consensus: “Wow, he gives a great speech!” and “Why is he turning his head so often?”  I informed them (minus the snark) that TOTUS was in the room too.  Predictably, after about five minutes heads were down and a glazed look came across the masses — not too different than Joe Biden, honestly!

On the substance, though, listen to Paul Ryan’s spot-on response.  I like this line:

“What we heard today was not fiscal leadership from our commander-in-chief, what we heard today was a political broadside from our campaigner-in-chief.”

That about says it.  Also, WSJ had a very apt critique of the President’s speech.  I like this line:

“Mr. Obama presented what some might call the false choice of merely preserving the government we have with no realistic plan for doing so, aside from proposing $4 trillion in phantom deficit reduction over a gimmicky 12-year budget window that makes that reduction seem larger than it would be over the normal 10-year window.”

Tomorrow’s lesson to the kids could easily be what a political “straw man argument” is, using this speech as the sole case-study!  The 2012 contrasts are becoming more and more gaping everyday — hopefully America feels more nauseous about reelecting Obama rather than sleepy about the prospect.

{ 1 trackback }

Obama’s Open Mic Moment | Axis of Right
April 16, 2011 at 7:18 am

Karol Kibbie April 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Hard to be any more nauseous than I’ve been since he was elected. Except now, feeling pretty sick that no one seems able to find a way to dislodge this liar and lawbreaker into early retirement and keep him out of the running in 2012.

I do hope the rest of the country wakes up and feels the nausea.

Brian April 14, 2011 at 1:03 pm

@Karol Kibbie – I’m confused as to how he is a liar and lawbreaker. Meanwhile, I question the entire idea of giving tax cuts to everyone. The only way to increase the revenue of the government is to INCREASE THE REVENUE. That is, raising taxes. On everyone. I don’t mind paying an additional 5% in tax, as long as the millionaires and billionaires do the same. I’m not too sure how I feel on corporate tax cuts, since technically the profit that comes from business should REMAIN in the business, and then that money is used for new hires. No one takes their personal taxes saved and puts it back into job creation. IT NEVER HAPPENS. But I digress… how exactly is Obama a liar and lawbreaker again?

commontater April 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm

@ Brian – you didn’t address your question to me but may I take a stab at it?
I think Prez-O is a liar for saying he wrote Dreams of My Father when Bill Ayers has said repeatedly, lately, that he’s the author. And wouldn’t Prez-O be a lawbreaker by virtue of fact that no one whose parent is a foreign subject can run for president of the United States? The smoke and mirror crowd like to fart fog up the issue by citing his birth certificate authenticity when, in fact, the issue is about his father being a British subject, right?

Well, did I do okay answering your question not directed to me in any way, shape or form?

Karol Kibbie April 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm

@Brian –

Here’s the most recent. In 2008 then-senator Obama said he believed in the Constitution and would not use “signing statements” to do what he called an “end-run around Congress”.

In 2011, just this week, now-President Obama has issued a signing statement to do an end-run around Congress.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg. If you really believe he is as clean as the driven snow, I’ll do a whole bunch of research and show you more facts. I don’t, however, think you are really interested in arguing facts.

Raising taxes is not the answer. Stopping the spending of money we don’t have is the answer. In your private life, you cannot just go knock on your neighbor’s door and demand money from him when you have more bills than you can pay.

Neither should the government.

commontater April 20, 2011 at 12:21 am

He also lied about closing Gitmo.